Monday, January 27, 2014
Here is the assembled door, all glued up and ready for the finish. The wood is ceder, the 'hinges' are from a copper sheet, thin enough that I cut it with my carving tools. The door knob ladybug cost $1.99 and is the only item not from a scrap bin.
I still need to cut a keyhole slot in the back to hang the door on the outside wall.
Friday, January 24, 2014
I started building a Fairy Door for the shop. I used 1/4" plywood for a base and I'm using ceder for the door and frame.
The hinges are copper and are not shown here, yet. I'll also trim the door with ceder to keep water away from the plywood edges.
Here you see the door set into the opening but not attached. the carving was tough cause ceder tears easily. I want to give the flower a yellow wash and the leaves green. You can see where I added some highlights with a wood burning tool.
Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.
Wednesday, January 22, 2014
Here is a small turned box I made from Myrtle Wood. I was after a small depth and a simple lid design for a particular item to store in the box for Christmas. But the requirements changed and I finished it after Christmas. The top handle is walnut and was turned from a small scrap.
Monday, January 6, 2014
My wife had picked up a 35mm Duster kit from Rockler this Christmas. I've included a picture of the package wrapping as we'll as the brush itself.
Since I have a little spare Myrtle wood I grabbed a chunk for the handle, so I've added a picture of the other end of the source piece and the finished handle. Kind of a before and after shot. The opening I drilled was 1/2" deep, and then I turned the handle accounting for the size of the opening.
In the final picture, the brush is not epoxied in yet. I am writing this while the epoxy sets.